Season 01, Episode 03
Podcast Episode Title
The Last of Us is a Business Story: Decoding Celebrity Influence with Renee Bowen (part 1)
Wednesday, August 30, 2023
Join host Mary Williams and special guest Renee Bowen in the first of a two-part captivating discussion that will help you examine your own relationship to the business of influence and notoriety. Explore the intricate relationship between celebrity influence, entrepreneurship, and personal development through the lens of the HBO original series “The Last of Us.”
Explore together, how celebrities like Pedro Pascal masterfully navigate branding, authenticity, and connection to create lasting impact on both the entertainment industry and the world of business.
Uncover the parallels between actors’ on-screen personas and entrepreneurs’ business personas, and learn how to harness your unique magic juju to stand out amidst content saturation.
Gain practical insights and inspiration to confidently embrace imperfection, take actionable steps, and elevate your personal brand in the dynamic landscape of modern media.
Quote from the episode
Really at the end of the day, a lot of brands don’t do that. They’re really afraid to create any kind of repelling marketing. Because I think we have this deep desire to be liked, but at the end of the day you’re not for everybody. And part of building a business is not just attracting who you want to attract, but repelling who you don’t want to attract.
~ Renee Bowen, Founder & CEO of Renee Bowen Photography
Discussed in this episode
- Celebrity Influence and Entrepreneurship: Exploring the intersection of celebrity status and entrepreneurial success.
- Personal Branding Magic: Unveiling the charm and authenticity behind Pedro Pascal’s on-screen and off-screen presence.
- Messaging Consistency: The importance of delivering a consistent brand message across different platforms.
- Embracing Imperfection: Overcoming the fear of imperfection and taking steps to create content despite self-doubt.
- Humanizing Celebrities: Understanding that celebrities are human too, and dealing with nerves and challenges in the public eye.
- Content Creation Strategies: Encouragement to produce content regularly and let go of perfectionism.
- Authenticity in Branding: Recognizing the power of authenticity and relatability in connecting with audiences.
- Navigating Comparison: Overcoming the temptation to compare oneself to more established celebrities or entrepreneurs.
- Longevity and Success: How sticking with a venture over time can lead to lasting impact and recognition.
- Uniqueness in Business: Embracing your personal magic juju to stand out and leave a memorable mark in your industry.
- The Last of Us video game created by Naughty Dog
- The Last of Us television series on HBO
- Bittersweet by Susan Cain
- Movie: Kingsman – The Golden Circle
- Interview: The Graham Norton Show
This episode has been sponsored by
We have amazing sponsors for our premiere week! I am beyond grateful for these incredibly generous individuals and their businesses. You’ll hear them mentioned on each episode this week and you can start giving them some love by checking out what they offer through these links:
✨ The AK Collective with Amber Kinney
✨ Secret to Thriving Online Communities with Tonya Kubo
✨ Everyday Effectiveness with Gwen Bortner
✨ Custom Learning Atelier with Beth Salyers
- Subscribe to Sensible Woo’s free newsletter sent weekly with a free reading for your business included! Want more? Upgrade to the extended weekly Tarot & Akashic readings made exclusively for your business for just $9 per month.
Renee helps creative entrepreneurs with spicy brains find clarity and regulation through coaching, courses and her podcast, Tried & True With a Dash of Woo. She offers high level 1:1 coaching as well as group coaching, in addition to photography education online courses and hypnosis tracks. Connect with Renee on her website, Instagram, Facebook, TikTok, and LinkedIn.
- Host, Writer, Producer: Mary Williams
- Sound Master: Chris Martin
- Marketing Support: The AK Collective
- Recording Studio: Melrose Podcasts