Season 01, Episode 08
Podcast Episode Title
The Last of Us is a Business Story: Surviving Life’s Sh*t Sandwiches with Beth Salyers
Wednesday, September 20, 2023
In this week’s episode, your host, Mary Williams, dives deep into the transformative power of the arts and the nuances of life’s challenges with special guest Beth Salyers.
Join the discussion as we explore the sacrifices and resilience needed to excel in any field, the importance of embracing nuance, and how to navigate life’s “sh*t sandwiches.”
Discover the parallels between the characters in the series and our own journeys, reflecting on humanity’s monsters and the complex decisions we face.
From dissonance to resolution, we uncover the beauty of storytelling and the impact of trust in our relationships.
This episode will help you gain fresh perspectives on personal growth, education, and the art of doing things differently in a world that often seeks comfort in the familiar.
Quote from the episode
Now you can have filters, but these are all packaging. It can add to the experience, I’m not knocking it. I dig it. But fundamentally, is it really changing or challenging or adding to multiple ways of knowing ourselves and knowing each other? And knowing the world. I find that those experiences that truly impact those multiple ways of knowing are few and far between. And I think in my experience, when you can build up those experiences of coming to multiple ways of knowing and being with others, that’s when true collaboration can happen.
~ Beth Salyers, Founder & CEO of Custom Learning Atelier
Discussed in this episode
- The transformative power of music and the arts in personal growth and education.
- The sacrifices and work ethic required for excellence in the arts.
- A discussion on the concept of “eating sh*t sandwiches” and making choices in life.
- The importance of resilience in navigating challenges.
- How exposure to diverse perspectives and role models can inspire change.
- The role of nuance and storytelling in understanding complex issues.
- The nature of humanity as explored in The Last of Us.
- The use of dissonance and resolution in storytelling and life.
- The impact of survival instincts on decision-making.
- The value of trust and understanding in relationships.
- The Last of Us video game created by Naughty Dog
- The Last of Us television series on HBO
- Bittersweet by Susan Cain
This episode has been sponsored by
💌 Subscribe to Sensible Woo’s free newsletter sent weekly with a free reading for your business included! Want more?
📬 Upgrade to the extended weekly Tarot & Akashic readings made exclusively for your business for just $9 per month.
Beth helps leaders of organizations using business as a force for good and the individuals working in orgs that do not align with their values, passions, and humanity. For both groups of people – Beth helps them learn about, engage with, and co-design their regenerative learning ecosystem… so their impact (and health) is something good for people and the planet. Connect with Beth through her website, LinkedIn, Instagram, and TikTok.
- Host, Writer, Producer: Mary Williams
- Sound Master: Chris Martin
- Marketing Support: The AK Collective
- Recording Studio: Nice Sound Studio