Season 01, Episode 13
Podcast Episode Title
Beyond Good and Bad: The Wisdom of Navigating Our Dual Nature
Wednesday, October 25, 2023
In this week’s episode, join host Mary Williams and special guest Erica Courdae for the second part of a two part episode. Together, they embark on a captivating journey into the heart of human nature, shedding light on the wisdom of embracing our multifaceted selves.
The episode delves into the powerful realization that no one is defined solely as “good” or “bad.” Instead, Mary and Erica explore the idea that all individuals possess the capacity for both light and shadow, and our unique life experiences shape our responses. Erica masterfully articulates that the true work, often referred to as “shadow work,” involves acknowledging these dualities within ourselves and working towards reconciliation.
The dialogue delves into the complexity of societal perspectives on joy, personal growth, and the challenge of finding happiness without encroaching on others. Through Erica’s insight, listeners are encouraged to use their voices to share their perceptions and make a positive impact on the world.
Quote from the episode
If you are not considering if you actually even know what it is that they want or need beyond what you assume it is, you’re just creating for creation’s sake. And it’s all based around you and your Jesus complex because you need to be the damn savior. Not because you actually want to support people because what they’re looking for is not to be saved by you. They are seeking support. They are seeking healing. They are seeking safety. They are seeking a way to be as whole as they can when they have not been able to access that in their lives.
~ Erica Courdae, Founder & CEO of Pause on the Play
Discussed in this episode
- Embracing the idea that no one is purely “good” or “bad.”
- Recognizing the capacity for both light and shadow within ourselves.
- The importance of acknowledging the dualities and complexities of human nature.
- The concept of shadow work and its role in personal growth.
- Navigating societal perspectives on joy and personal development.
- Accepting the idea that finding joy doesn’t have to infringe on others.
- The power of introspection, reflection, and healing within a community.
- The impact of using one’s voice to share insights and make a positive influence.
- The value of authenticity and self-acceptance in the journey of self-discovery.
- Exploring how personal experiences and circumstances shape individual responses.
- The Last of Us video game created by Naughty Dog
- The Last of Us television series on HBO
- Bittersweet by Susan Cain
This episode has been sponsored by
💌 Subscribe to Sensible Woo’s free newsletter sent weekly with a free reading for your business included! Want more?
📬 Upgrade to the extended weekly Tarot & Akashic readings made exclusively for your business for just $9 per month.
Erica supports Imperfect Allys in taking imperfect action. She facilitates a space where you can ask questions and admit you don’t have all the answers — maybe even any of them at all. She’s here to help you become a more inclusive leader without letting the perfection trap get in your way. Figuring out how you can move from implicit to explicit® values, evolve the way we show up for ourselves and others, and to grow our influence, together. She holds this space through coaching + consulting, the Pause on the Play® podcast, and the Pause on the Play® community. Connect with Erica at her website, Instagram, LinkedIn.
- Host, Writer, Producer: Mary Williams
- Sound Master: Chris Martin
- Marketing Support: The AK Collective
- Recording Studio: GoodPeeples Studios